With age and childbirth, the labia and surrounding vaginal tissue can change in shape, size, and tone. In many cases, women are born with large labia and they are just not happy with parts of their genitalia.
There are procedures to alter and improve the function and appearance of the female genitals. It’s a relatively new field in aesthetic surgery, but in later years this type of operation has become more popular. Many patients feel inhibited in their sexual relations and are also troubled by situations linked to swimming or sports.
Australia Plastic Surgery offers two types of genital surgery for women otherwise known as Vaginal Surgery:
- Operations of the Labia: to adjust irregularities in the appearance and reduce the size of the labia.
- Operation of the Vagina: tightening of the pelvic floor muscles and the vagina.
Labial Reduction (Labioplasty or Labial Rejuvenation)
Many women are bothered by irregularities in the appearance of their labia. The most common irregularity is that the inner labia are too big. If these protrude far beyond the outer labia, there is a risk of chafing and they are also less aesthetically appealing. Surgery can be used to reduce the size of the inner labia.
A medical history and examination is conducted to determine if the patient is suitable candidate for the procedure.
Larger labia may protrude well beyond the outer lips of the vagina, causing discomfort when they rub against clothing, during sport, or sex. Women with exceptionally long or unequal lengths of the inner lips (labia minora) can have them aesthetically reshaped.
Labial Reduction Surgery
Labial surgery is always done as day case, usually under general or local anaesthetic with sedation.
During the procedure the surgeon removes a wedge-shaped piece of tissue and re-attaches the labium in a new position so that the inner lips no longer protrude beyond the outer lips.
The stitches used are dissolved by the body, so there is no need for unpleasant physical removal in this delicate area.
After Labial Reduction Surgery
- There is no need for bandages. It suffices to wash the area thoroughly with a hand-held shower twice a day.
- A burning or unpleasant feeling may be present, but in general there is no need for painkillers.
- Personal hygiene is extremely important for rapid healing.
- You will be able to go home the same day.
- The wound area will be reviewed in the clinic in a week time
Getting Back to Work And Normal Duties
- Recovery is normally quick and easy.
- Loose underwear should be worn for the first two weeks.
- Three or four weeks later, sexual relations can be resumed while exercising certain caution.
Other Genital Plastic Surgery
Various other procedures to improve the appearance, tone and sensation of the vagina can be performed.
Plastic Surgery Costs